If things go wrong: to parents

iStock_29148342_XXXLARGETravel to your child

Before your child leaves for study abroad, make sure your own travel documents are ready. Have a current passport. Also, know if you can enter your child’s country as a tourist. If you cannot enter as a tourist, you will need a visa. If time is critical, you will want to obtain a rush visa. (There are a number of businesses that specialize in rush visas.)

Some study abroad programs will help you travel to your child. This help may come as bureaucratic and/or financial assistance.

Other programs will not.

Occasionally programs will offer travel, but only under certain conditions, such as signing an agreement not to sue.