Shareholder, Hogan Marren Babbo & Rose, Ltd., and Co-Chair of the firm’s Education Practice.
Former General Counsel, U.S. Department of Education
Charlie represents educational institutions (including private and public colleges and universities, community colleges, K-12 school districts and private schools), corporations, education-related businesses, private equity firms, state government agencies and municipalities and foundations. He advises his clients on matters such as regulatory compliance and reform, corporate transactions, education law and policy, civil rights, public-private partnerships, and labor-management relationships. Formerly, Charlie served as the General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Education from May 2009 to July 2011 – a position for which Charlie was nominated by President Obama and unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate. As General Counsel, Charlie was a senior official in the Obama Administration and advised the U.S. Secretary of Education on all legal, regulatory and policy matters as well as education reform initiatives. Charlie is active in community service, is a frequent speaker on education law and policy and previously served as an adjunct lecturer at DePaul University College of Law and Northeastern Illinois University. In 2014, Charlie was nominated by President Obama and unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Morris K. Udall and Stuart L. Udall Foundation, a federal agency focused on environmental matters and Native American causes.
Professional memberships include:
- Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (elected in 2008)
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member, National Council of School Attorneys
Board memberships include:
- Member, Board of Trustees, Morris K. Udall and Stuart L. Udall Foundation
- Member, Advisory Board, Association of College and University Educators
- Member, Academic Council, Rasmussen College
- Member, Board of Trustees, Academy for Urban School Leadership
- Member, Board of Directors, Alliance for Excellent Education
Address: Hogan Marren Babbo & Rose, Ltd.
321 North Clark Street, Suite 1301
Chicago, IL 60654
Phone (o): (312) 540-4425
Phone (m): (773) 620-3207